Two men, aged 52 and 23, were found dead on Friday evening in Lech am Arlberg, a popular ski resort in Austria. The cause of death is believed to be carbon monoxide poisoning. The men were found lifeless in the pellet store located in the basement of a hotel building, where attempts at resuscitation were unsuccessful.
According to reports by ORF Vorarlberg, the accident was not caused by a technical defect in the heating system. The pellet store was the only room where the men were found, and not the plant itself. It is believed that the deadly gases may have been created when the pellets were shifted.
As of Saturday afternoon, investigations were still ongoing, with confirmed findings about the cause of the accident expected at the earliest on Sunday. The carbon monoxide levels in the affected room were still too high for a full investigation to be conducted on Saturday morning.
Carbon monoxide poisoning occurs when the colorless and odorless gas is inhaled, preventing oxygen from reaching the body’s cells and leading to suffocation. It can be produced by burning fossil fuels such as coal, oil, and gas, and can also be generated from the incomplete combustion of other fuels such as wood and pellets.
Carbon monoxide poisoning can cause a range of symptoms, including headache, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, and confusion. In severe cases, it can lead to unconsciousness and death. The risk of carbon monoxide poisoning can be reduced by ensuring proper ventilation, regular maintenance of heating systems, and the use of carbon monoxide detectors.
The tragic incident in Lech am Arlberg serves as a reminder of the importance of taking precautions against carbon monoxide poisoning, particularly in enclosed spaces. The investigation into the incident is ongoing, with authorities working to determine the cause of the accident and take appropriate measures to prevent similar incidents from occurring in the future.
The deaths of the two men in Lech am Arlberg is a tragic reminder of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning. While investigations are still ongoing, it is important for individuals to take necessary precautions to prevent such incidents from occurring. Proper ventilation, regular maintenance of heating systems, and the use of carbon monoxide detectors can help reduce the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning in enclosed spaces.